Wednesday, June 1, 2011

More chit chat

It has been a while since I have posted anything. Things go in cycles around here and many days are packed with responsibilities which leaves little time for chatting.
However it is now Friday morning. We said good-bye to this group on Weds. and we are now waiting for the bus to arrive from the airport bringing 19 elders from the USA. The rest of the group will come throughout the day.

(The red telephone booths are still alive and well in England!)





So while I am waiting, I will chat about this last group. They were so interesting. Once again they had their own personality and lots and lots of challenging problems. Mind you, most of them were golden, but those with problems keep you hopping.

Choir practice is a favorite of the missionaries. Every Sunday afternoon we sing (whether or not they can carry and tune). The last Sunday every missionary sings his/her National Anthem as evidenced by the above pix.

There were some very funny moments.......for instance: Richard and I played the parts of investigators and had 2 sets of elders teach us every few days. One day they were teaching us the 10 commandments and Richard (in his character) asked if that meant he couldn't say "Damn"! The elder thought for a minute and then said, "Well, I know you can't say it in America but I think in England it's OK!" I can tell you, it is hard to stay in character in these moments. I was biting the inside of my cheeks to try and contain the laughter!

Another tidbit.......one day the elders were setting goals -- you know the kind -- worthy goals like studying the scriptures, getting along with companion, studying Preach My Gospel, getting to bed on time, etc. etc. One young man after thoughtful deliberation announced his goal. "I'm going to try to wear a part in my hair!!!"
But honestly, you just gotta love em!



The last time we took the missionaries on the Church History tour this garbage can was just through the fence. I couldn't resist a pix. A reminder that 15 Wadham Road was the house where Pres. Hinckley lived as a missionary!!!! And it is part of the Church History Tour.

These are the 2 German elders we took to 15 Wadham Road.

































Five sisters from five different countries. USA, Romania, Denmark, Brazil, Switzerland! Such fabulous young women!


Well, this group is now history and we are greeting 34 new missionaries today. What will they be like?












1 comment: