Saturday, June 25, 2011

Lyme Park

We all know about English gardens. And sometimes we even try to re-create them in our own yards. But it would seem we lack the variety of plants and we certainly lack the moisture that keeps everything green and lush. And we always lack the mansions that stand at the centerfold of each of these magnificent gardens.

Lyme Park is a magnificent estate. It is one of the most country-house images in England and the backdrop to where Darcy meets Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice.



In fact, the guard standing at the top of the stairway when I entered made sure I knew that I had just walked up the steps that Darcy walked up in the movie. Now really, I had just watched Pride and Predjudice but had no recollection of Darcy on these steps. Furthermore there are several versions of the movie and who knows................The home itself was as beautifully restored as anyplace I have ever seen. It has a colorful family history, from rescuing the Black Prince, sailing into exile with the Duke of Windsor, to the writing of the hit series Upstairs Downstairs. (such a hit that I have never seen it!



The grounds go on for miles and are park like. When you enter they give you a CD to listen to while you drive. It gives you a description of what you are seeing and a little history of the site.

Very well done!!!!!



















1 comment:

  1. Is it sad that I immediately recognized the grounds and building? I love Pride and Prejudice. Such a beautiful estate! Your photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete