Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Scotland

A two day break and we were off to Scotland.....hard to believe that in 3 hours you can be in the beautiful city of Edinburgh!!!   We walked the streets on a most spectacular day -- sun, warmth, street entertainers, food and fun.  We meandered through the castle, went to a 1 hour mini concert of Les Miz music and then headed over to Stirling to spend the night.
The morning beamed on another day and after a quick walk through Stirling Castle, we drove to Loch Lomond. As I sat and absorbed the beauty of it all my mind went back to the first time I put my feet on Scottish soil.  I was 16 years old.  My father had an assignment to visit the Swiss Temple and at the last minute (like the day of....)he decided to take me with him.  It was my first time on a plane and sometime during the night when we were over that vast ocean, the stewardess woke me up and handed me a snack of sardine sandwiches.  In my naitivity, I thot you had to eat whatever they gave you on this fancy plane, so I choked it down and instantly felt sick.  The stewerdess gave me a dramamine to settle my stomach.  It worked, but it also knocked me out!!!  We landed in Scotland and deplaned while they refueled.  I was so out of it I could hardly open my eyes which greatly disturbed him -- he kept saying "Open your eyes!  You're in Scotland and might never be in Scotland again"!  It didn't seem to matter that there was nothing to see, I was on Scottish soil and that for him, was a noteworthy moment.
Well, I hope he knows that I have now walked on Scottish soil, I have tickled my feet in Loch Lomond and I have loved it!!!!  What I missed on that groggy morning so long ago, I have made up for and it was worth waiting for!

Edinburgh Castle -- built on solid rock -- currently under repair.



He's cute, but not cute enuf!!  I think I'll stick with what I've got!!!!!

A busy day in the castle -- the place was buzzing with people.

This is Pratt's hill -- on which Parley P. Pratt dedicated the land of Scotland.  Missionaries climb this mt. on the first day of their mission and on the last day of their mission.  They spend a few minutes in solitude, contemplating their calling and dedicating themselves to the work.

The Port Cullis is a B&B at the gateway of Stirling Castle, in Stirling, Scotland.  It was our home for one night.



"Ye take the high road and I'll take the low road and I'll be in Scotland before thee.....

......where me and my true love will never meet again....

.....on the bonnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond"
(from Brigadoon)




The little village of Luss on the bonnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond.


....and so it was.....we just sat and ate an ice cream cone, soaked up the sun and pinched ourselves......were we really there?!

No comments:

Post a Comment