Thursday, April 26, 2012

Brighton, England

In 1843 my  great grandmother Mary Goble (Pay) was born in Brighton, England.  In her twelfth year her parents joined the Church and she was baptized.  In the spring of 1856 they left their home in Brighton and sailed to America.  Due to some unusual circumstances they became part of the ill fated hand cart companies that experienced extreme suffering.  By the time they reached the Salt Lake Valley, three of her siblings and her mother had died and Mary's feet were frozen.  Her story has been immortalized because she left a short written history of her life that has been shared  on many occasions and in many places.
Thanks to my aunts I had an address on Russell Square where Mary lived as a child.   So...... when we arrived in Brighton at 7:30 one evening, we found the little home on Russell Square where Mary had lived as a child....and lucky us.....it is a B&B!  And lucky again.....they had one room available.

So, we slept the night in Room 4 of Motel Schmotel, overlooking Russell Square.




The next morning we were awakened to the beautiful  chirping of birds.  And the thought came to me, "Did the birds sing in Russell Square and awaken Mary when she lived here!"

The current owners are a wonderful young couple who gave us a brief history of the building -- built in 1825 by a well know Brighton architect.  Built originally for wealthy merchants, it is today considered a historic landmark and  is protected against any change in the structure.
Room 4, where we stayed, was known as the music room for the entertainment of family and friends.  (probably didn't have many friends as the room was very small).

The current owners were very interested in the little bit of personal history I could provide and were most welcoming!
A walk on the pebble beach  was reminiscent of days gone by -- I can only imagine the rock fights that might have occured!
When I saw what they left and thought of what they faced -- I felt a sense of responsibility.

Mary's mother, who became a martyr for the truth, had said, "I want to go to Zion while my children are small, so they can be raised in the Gospel of Christ for I know this is the true church."
That lovely mother had 31 grandchildren and an endless posterity that now enjoys the fruits of the gospel because they walked away from Russell Square and Brighton Beach and faced the hardships of the plains, even giving their lives.......for us.

In November of 1909, Mary Goble wrote, "I have been to a reunion (of our handcart company).  It made me feel bad.  It brought it all up again.  Is it wise for our children to see what their parents passed through for the gospel?  Yes, I think it is."

Someday I will account to her for my life -- which is due in part to her sacrifice.  I hope she will be pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment