Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I BELIEVE!!!

HO HO HO
I had a most amazing experience!!!! We were on a very crowded train returning with the missionaries from Manchester. I was sitting in a window seat and a man moved down the aisle with a very large suitcase. This case caught my attention because it was trimmed in red and green and looked very festive. Richard helped him lift it up on the overhead rack and then the man sat down -- right across from me. I found myself rivited on his face -- a bushy white beard and twinkly eyes, so much like Santa Clause I thought. Finally curiosity got the best of me and I asked him where he was going.......He responded by saying he was on his way to Edinburgh on business. Naturally I asked what kind of business. He then looked around, leaned forward in his seat and said in a soft voice.


"Actually, I am Santa Claus and I am on my way to Scotland to look in on the children there. From there I will go to Germany and then on to Lapland to check on my reindeer who are bred and live on a reindeer farm."


My heart started to pound......butterflies soared in my tummy and I whispered "I BELIEVE! I HAVE ALWAYS BELIEVED AND I WILL FOREVER BELIEVE!"


We then began to visit. He told me that he does not wear his suit while traveling because it is so hot and then everyone would want to sit on his lap, but he had it in his cheery suitcase. I emplored him to just put his hat on and let us take a picture, so Richard lifted his suitcase down and he took his hat out and put it on.


By now all those around us were staring.. There was a little girl across the aisle who quickly climbed up on her mother's lap and stole a few peeks.


I told him about the many grandchildren we have and where they live. Of course he knew all the cities. He visits them each year. He said he would await their letters and hoped they were being extra good this year!!!


He told me about some of the things children ask for -- like the little girl who wanted a new pair of beautiful shoes for Christmas, and she had NO legs. The tears trickled off his cheeks as he told it.
I told him all about missionaries and what we believe and showed him a picture of the temple. He said he had seen many temples and was happy to know what they were.

The magic of Christmas filled the train and when we finally had to get off we wished him a Merry Christmas and I giggled all the way home!!!!!

My only disappointment -----I didn't get to sit on his lap!

No comments:

Post a Comment